Contributions to "regionalize" the OneBusAway WP7 app

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Hi OBA WP7 developers,

I'm currently working on a research project at the University of South Florida, in collaboration with Georgia Tech.  This research surrounds the OneBusAway project, and we're currently in the process of setting up a OneBusAway instance in Tampa, FL (current version here, which includes real-time data from HART's AVL system - http://www.usf.edu/onebusaway).  Georgia Tech is also in the process of setting up a OBA server in Atlanta.

As part of our project, and in the interest of supporting multiple OneBusAway deployments around the country, I'd like to "regionalize" the OBA Android, iPhone, and WP7 apps.  

The general idea is to leverage the existing OBA apps on the respective mobile app markets, but add functionality to them so that they are able to read from an open OneBusAway server directory (currently a Google Doc spreadsheet), determine which OBA server matches their current location, and then request OBA information from the regional OBA server (in the exact same way they currently work in Puget Sound). 

To cut down on the amount of direct feedback to the app developers about regional data problems, we would also add a feedback button in the app that points at the email address of the administrator of the regional OBA server, not the app developer.

A discusssion on the OBA Developer's group has more details of this design:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/onebusaway-developers/MsGNjBDdFXs/discussion

We already have permission from the Android and iPhone developers to pursue this design and update their apps.

Would you agree to accept code contributions to update the OBA WP7 app to this "regionalized" design as well?

Please let me know your thoughts on this, and feel free to contact me at the phone number below with any questions.  If you wanted to help in this effort, we would welcome any collaboration as well.

Thanks,

Sean

Sean J. Barbeau, Ph.D.

Principal Mobile Software Architect for R&D

Center for Urban Transportation Research 

University of South Florida

(813) 974-7208

P.S. Here's the full scope of the research project, in case you're interested in more reading:

http://www.nctr.usf.edu/2012/03/moving-america-on-transit-innovation-in-real-time-transit-information/

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Sounds good to me. We haven't been actively developing the OBA app, so will your team be contributing the code? I can setup a branch for you to work out of as the current code in the mainline path isn't a good starting point (it has a half-finished project in it). Also, I'd request that you publish a WP7.5 version of the app first, not a WP8 version, as that is what we currently support (and the 7.5 app will also run on WP8).

Let me know the codeplex IDs for the person who will be contributing the code and I can provide write access to our source. 

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Sinorm,
Yes, our team would be contributing the code (unless one of your team members was interested in working on this).

Thanks, it would be great if you could set up a branch that we could work off of as a stable version of the current app.

We will target WP7.5 first as you request.

As of right now, I'll be the one working on this, and my codeplex account is "barbeau".

Also, this is the first WP app I've worked on (mainly Android experience), so if you have any suggestions on getting starting in WP7.5 development I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Sean

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Sinorm <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Sounds good to me. We haven't been actively developing the OBA app, so will your team be contributing the code? I can setup a branch for you to work out of as the current code in the mainline path isn't a good starting point (it has a half-finished project in it). Also, I'd request that you publish a WP7.5 version of the app first, not a WP8 version, as that is what we currently support (and the 7.5 app will also run on WP8).

Let me know the codeplex IDs for the person who will be contributing the code and I can provide write access to our source.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (onebusawaywp7@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email onebusawaywp7@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Sean J. Barbeau, Ph.D. Computer Science & Engineering

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM
I added you as a developer of the project so you should have source access now. I've also created a branch under the release directory for OneBusAway-V2.8. This has the current shipping version of the source so it is a good starting point for the modifications.

There are a variety of examples for writing C#/Silverlight apps at http://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/develop along with around the web, and I can code review your changes.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:34 AM, barbeau <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
barbeau

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Sinorm,
Great, thanks! I'll starting review the code. fyi - I'm working on this and the other apps (Android & iPhone), as well as handling a OneBusAway deployment in Tampa FL, so you might not hear back from me immediately. But, I'll still be working towards this.

Sean

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Sinorm <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I added you as a developer of the project so you should have source access now. I've also created a branch under the release directory for OneBusAway-V2.8. This has the current shipping version of the source so it is a good starting point for the modifications.

There are a variety of examples for writing C#/Silverlight apps at http://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/develop along with around the web, and I can code review your changes.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:34 AM, barbeau <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
barbeau

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (onebusawaywp7@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email onebusawaywp7@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Sean J. Barbeau, Ph.D. Computer Science & Engineering

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Sinorm,
I've added an issue to track this feature:
https://onebusawaywp7.codeplex.com/workitem/19392#

We've outlined a proposal for the technical implementation of a centralized OBA Server Directory, as well as proposed changes to all the mobile apps in a Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hYvqUWRAYk5WLM00ZquC7hKbffvrDSOJ8LpHtz5i9Xk/edit?usp=sharing

Please feel free to review and comment.

We'll be moving forward with the implementation of this soon, so feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean